Wheelchair access possible via main entrance. For further information regarding wheelchair access, please contact our Enquiries Section on telephone number: 01628 507200.
From Ieper town centre the Dikkebusseweg (N375), is reached via Elverdingsestraat, straight over a roundabout onto J.Capronstraat (for 30 metres), then left along M.Fochlaan. Immediately after the train station, the first right hand turning is the Dikkebusseweg. On reaching the village of Dikkebus, the cemetery is located on the Kerkstraat, which is a small street turning left off the Dikkebusseweg. 200 metres along this street, and just beyond the village church, lies the cemetery.
The New Military Cemetery was begun in February 1915 and was used until May 1917 by fighting units and field ambulances, with a few further burials taking place in March and April 1918. The Extension was used from May 1917 to January 1918. The New Military Cemetery contains 624 First World War burials, including 8 unidentified, the Extension contains 547 including 5 unidentified. The site was designed by Sir Edwin Lutyens.