Top Navigation


Main CPGW Record

Surname: SHERWIN

Forename(s): Alfred

Place of Birth: Ingleton, Yorkshire

Service No: 267050

Rank: Private

Regiment / Corps / Service: Duke of Wellington’s (West Riding Regiment)

Battalion / Unit: 2/6th Battalion

Division: 62nd (2/West Riding) Division

Age: 28

Date of Death: 1917-05-03

Awards: ---

CWGC Grave / Memorial Reference: Bay 6.

CWGC Cemetery: ---


Non-CWGC Burial: ---


Additional Information:

Alfred Sherwin (born at Backgate, Ingleton, 18 February 1885) was the son of Emily Sherwin (later Alderson), born Ingleton, the daughter of Joseph and Mary Alice Sherwin. Joseph was born at Ilkley and Mary at Ingleton, Yorkshire.

1891 Ingleton, Yorkshire Census: Back Gate - Alfred Sherwin, aged 6 years, born Ingleton, son of Joseph and Mary A. Sherwin.

1901 Ingleton, Yorkshire Census: Back Gate - Alfred Sherwin, aged 16 years, born Ingleton, grandson of Joseph and Mary A. Sherwin.

1911 Ingleton, Yorkshire Census: Uppergate - Alfred Sherwin, aged 27 years, born Ingleton, grandson of Joseph and Mary Alice Sherwin.

British Army WW1 Medal Rolls Index Cards: Pte Alfred Sherwin, 267050, West Riding Regiment.

Army Registers of Soldiers' Effects: Pte Alfred Sherwin, 267050, 2/6th Bn W. Riding. Date and Place of Death: On or since 3.5.17 death pres. To whom Authorised/Amount Authorised: Father - Joseph [and] Brother - John Joint Legatees. £7 1s. 2d.

Alfred was killed in action during the Battle of Bullecourt, 3-17 May 1917.

A short biography of Alfred is included in: ‘The Ingleton War Memorial, 1914-18, 1939-45’ by Andrew Brooks (2005).

Data Source: Craven’s Part in the Great War - original CPGW book entry

View Entry in CPGW Book

Entry in West Yorkshire Pioneer Illustrated War Record: ---


Click the thumbnail below to view a larger image.

Private Alfred SHERWIN

Private Alfred SHERWIN

Regiment / Corps / Service Badge: Duke of Wellington’s (West Riding Regiment)

Regiment / Corps / Service Badge: Duke of Wellington’s (West Riding Regiment)

Divisional Sign / Service Insignia: 62nd (2/West Riding) Division

Divisional Sign / Service Insignia: 62nd (2/West Riding) Division

Data from Soldiers Died in the Great War 1914 - 1919 Records

Soldiers Died Data for Soldier Records

Surname: SHERWIN

Forename(s): Alfred

Born: Ingleton, Yorks

Residence: Ingleton

Enlisted: Settle, Yorks

Number: 267050

Rank: Private

Regiment: Duke of Wellington's (West Riding Regiment)

Battalion: 2/6th Battalion


Died Date: 03/05/17

Died How: Killed in action

Theatre of War: France & Flanders


Data from Commonwealth War Graves Commission Records

CWGC Data for Soldier Records

Surname: SHERWIN

Forename(s): Alfred

Country of Service: United Kingdom

Service Number: 267050

Rank: Private

Regiment: Duke of Wellington's (West Riding Regiment)

Unit: 2nd/6th Bn.

Age: 28


Died Date: 03/05/1917

Additional Information: Son of Mr. J. Sherwin, of Upper Gate, Ingleton, Carnforth, Lancs.

View Additional Text

View Additional Text For Soldier Records

THE HISTORY OF THE 62nd (WEST RIDING) DIVISION 1914-1919 Volume 1, by Everard Wyrall (John Lane the Bodley Head Limited Vigo Street, London, W.)

3rd – 17th May, 1917.

During the three weeks following the first attack on Bullecourt on 11th April, the 62nd Division was engaged in trench warfare, and in preparing for another attack on the Hindenburg Line which had been ordered to take place on various successive dates and subsequently postponed, until it was definitely decided that Bullecourt should again be attacked on the 3rd May…

3rd MAY

In the centre of the Divisional front, the troops of the 186th Infantry Brigade reached their allotted places by 3-30 a.m., though during the evening of the 2nd, the enemy’s artillery had caused considerable trouble – all forward telephone and telegraph wires having been cut and communication interrupted. The Signallers, however, repaired them and communication was re-established. The 2/5th Duke of Wellington’s (Lieut.-Col. F.W. Best) were on the right, the 2/6th (Lieut.-Col. S.W. Ford) on the left: the 2/7th Battalion (Lieut.-Col. F.G.C. Chamberlin) was in rear of the 2/5th and the 2/4th (Lieut.-Col. H.E. Nash) in the rear of 2/6th.

Three Companies of the 2/8th West Yorks. were formed up in rear of the 2/4th and 2/7th Battalions Duke of Wellington’s Regt., the remaining Company of the 2/8th having been detailed as a carrying party was in rear of the three Companies. The 213th Machine Gun Company supported the 186th Brigade.

On the left of the Divisional front, held by the 187th Infantry Brigade, the 2/4th Battalion York and Lancs. Regt. (Lieut.-Col. F. St. J. Blacker) was on the right, the 2/5th King’s Own Yorks. Light Infantry (Lieut.-Col. W. Watson) with two Companies of the 2/4th Battalion (Lieut.-Col. R.E. Power) of the same Regiment in rear of the two front line battalions, and the remaining two Companies of the 2/4th K.O.Y.L.I. were in rear of the 2/5th Battalion, detailed for ‘carrying’ duties. The 208th Machine Gun Company was in support.

The taping and forming up operations were carried out without serious casualties and were completed by 3-30 a.m., but Lieut.-Col. F. St. J. Balcker, D.S.O., commanding the Hallamshires, was wounded on the forming up line.

Shortly after two o’clock in the morning the moon disappeared and the night turned to inky blackness, but fifteen minutes before Zero all was ready for the attack. At this period the enemy put down a very heavy barrage on the 185th Infantry Brigade, which gradually spread along the whole front.

At Zero the creeping barrage opened on the enemy’s position and the assaulting troops began to move forward immediately. But now an unexpected difficulty presented itself: the warm weather had baked the ground hard and as the shells fell, churning it up, clouds of dust filled the air, and with smoke from the guns, and the smoke bombs, the objectives were hidden from the advancing troops, and there was much loss of direction.

The 2/5th West Yorks. on the left of the 185th Brigade front speedily captured the enemy’s first line trench, the wire entanglements having been well cut. The 2/6th Battalion, however, was not as fortunate: Colonel Hastings’ Battalion had been met by very heavy machine-gun fire which caused many casualties, and in the smoke and confusion sheared off towards the left, overlapping the right of the 2/5th Battalion. Meanwhile the latter had pushed on towards the centre of the village and had established two posts, one at U.27.b.6.8. and the other at U.21.d.5.0. At this point touch was lost with the 2/6th Battalion, though it was eventually established about the church. A pigeon message timed 5-15 a.m. from an officer of the left Company of the third and fourth waves of the 2/5th Battalion which reached Divisional Headquarters stated that the writer was in the communication trench at U.21.d.5.5. with about forty of his men.

On the left of the 185th Infantry Brigade, the 186th had accomplished only part of its task. The 2/5th Duke of Wellington’s found the wire cut and no difficulty was experienced in reaching the second German trench of the first objective. Here touch was obtained with the left of the 185th Brigade, and maintained for several hours until broken by enfilade machine-gun fire from both flanks. But the 2/6th Duke of Wellington’s found the wire uncut and their attack was held up. Hostile shell-fire and the rear waves closing in on the leading waves, added to the confusion and all that could be done was to occupy some shell holes in front of the enemy’s wire. An attempt was then made to cut the second belt of wire, but again machine-gun fire from the north, and the enemy’s activity with bombs frustrated this endeavour and finally the shell-holes were established as posts.

The 2/5th Duke’s had by this time established themselves in the enemy’s front line trench from U.21.d.1.0. to U.20.d.2.4. and had been reinforced by the 2/8th West Yorks.

Similarly on the left of the 186th Brigade, the 187th had met with success – and failure. The 2/5th York and Lancs. Regt. reached its first objective without difficulty, but the 2/4th Battalion was hung up by the thick wire entanglements which were insufficiently cut. In seeking to find a way through the Battalion moved off to its left and became intermingled with the 2/5th Battalion, whose right flank was ‘in the air.’ At about 4-20 a.m. Lieut.-Col. W. Watson, commanding the 2/5th K.O.Y.L.I. was killed as he was gallantly rallying his men and leading them forward.

For a while no reports from the right flank of the attack were received at Divisional Headquarters, and nothing could be ascertained as to what was taking place in the village of Bullecourt. At 6-50 a.m. the situation was so obscure that the protective barrage was ordered to remain on the second objective until a further advance could be organized. A little later (at 7 a.m.) the situation of the 185th Brigade appears to be as follows: Posts had been established at U.21.d.5.5. with a certain number of men further east along the Support line at U.21.d.5.9., U.27.b.6.8. and at the church (U.28.a.0.9.): the whole of the German front line trench as far east as U.27.b. had been occupied. Touch was maintained with the 2/5th Duke of Wellington’s Regt., on the western side of the village and in the trench running south from the Crucifix. But of the 2/6th West Yorks. little was known, and all attempts to communicate with or reach the probable position of the Battalion, failed. Large numbers of men of the Battalion – dead and wounded – were found in front of the German wire. A Company of the 2/7th West Yorks. was sent forward to try to reach their comrades of the 2/6th, but the men were met by a murderous machine-gun fire which swept the line of the advance and after having suffered heavy casualties the Company withdrew to the Railway Embankment.

Repeated attempts by the 186th and 187th Brigades to penetrate the enemy’s positions were frustrated, and at noon the little party of the 2/5th Duke’s and 2/8th West Yorks., were bombed out of their portion of the trench and were forced to take shelter in shell holes south and south-west of Bullecourt. The advance by the 2/5th K.O.Y.L.I., under Major O.C. Watson, at first progressed, but was eventually checked by heavy machine-gun fire and a continuous H.E. barrage.

At mid-day the situation was as follows: about fifty men per battalion of the 186th Infantry Brigade had found shelter on the Railway Line U.26.c. and d., the remainder of the Brigade was in the Sunken Road in U.27.a.5.8. and U.20.d.9.4.: of the 187th Brigade elements were in the Sunken Road in U.20.b. and in shell holes in U.20.c. and d.: the Company of 2/5th West Yorks. (185th Brigade) which had been driven out of the western side of Bullecourt, had also reached the Railway Line, the 2/7th West Yorks. were also at U.27.c. and d., on the Railway Line: but there was still no news of the 2/6th West Yorks.

Just after 5 o’clock in the evening orders from Divisional Headquarters to the three Infantry Brigades contained instructions to the Brigadiers to make every effort to reorganize their battalions on the line of their original fronts, in their own sectors: the 7th Division was to take over the front held by the 185th Infantry Brigade as soon as possible. The same orders stated that the VIIth Corps had taken Chérisy and the 2nd Australian Division (on the right of the 62nd Division) was in occupation of the Hindenburg Line from U.23.c.8.1. to U.22.d.6.3.

The failure of the 62nd Division to capture Bullecourt was due largely to a fault which certainly cannot be charged to the gallant troops who stormed the village and the Hindenburg Line in the vicinity. Neither could the Divisional Staff, which had laboured to make all arrangements as complete as possible, be blamed. It was due principally to an error in tactics which had so often failed in the earlier years of the war – notably at Festubert in 1915. The Australian Division on the right of the 62nd Division did not launch its attack side by side with the 2/6th West Yorks., the flanking battalion of the West Riding Division. There was a gap – a fatal gap – in the line of attack between the Colonials and the Yorkshiremen, the former having decided to attack the first objective frontally, only as far to the left as U.23.d.6.3., and then bomb down the Hindenburg Line westwards to the left boundary where touch was to be gained with the 185th Infantry Brigade. Thus some hundreds of yards of the enemy’s positions (unfortunately that portion which was very strongly defended by machine-guns) was left free to enfilade the 2/6th West Yorks. as that Battalion advanced: which indeed happened. In all justice to the Australian troops it must be noted that they reached their objective, but before they got there the West Yorkshiremen had been cut up and of those brave fellows who had penetrated the village the greater number had either been killed, wounded, or taken prisoner, only a hundred survivors getting back to their own trenches.

The inky blackness of the night, which caused much confusion during the forming-up operations, also contributed to the failure of the assault, many of the troops losing themselves and being entirely ignorant of the direction of the enemy’s trenches.

The enemy was in considerable strength, the 49th Reserve Division and the 27th Division was holding the Hindenburg Line between Fontaine and Riencourt (inclusive). The latter had with it the 1st Musketeen (Automatic Rifle) Battalion.

Many deeds of gallantry were witnessed during that attack, and the Division emerged from its first set battle sorely tried and tested and badly mauled, but with many proofs of its fighting qualities… The casualties of the 62nd (W.R.) Division on the 3rd May were: 116 officers and 2,860 other ranks, killed, wounded and missing…

The 62nd had been ‘Blooded’!

At dusk on the 3rd, the 185th Infantry Brigade was relieved by the 22nd Infantry Brigade (7th Division), only the 2/7th West Yorks. remaining in the line under the command of the General Officer Commanding 7th Division.

4th MAY

The remnants of the 2/5th, 2/6th and 2/8th West Yorks. were withdrawn to caves in Ecoust, to reorganize: on the following day they marched to Ervillers. The 186th and 187th Brigades remained in the line, the 62nd Divisional front now extending from the Mory – Ecoust – Bullecourt Road (inclusive) to the left of the Vth Corps boundary, Judas Farm – Sensee River, to along the road at T.24.a.9.4. – U.14.c.2.9…

12th MAY

The final attack on Bullecourt began on the 12th May when the 185th Infantry Brigade assisted the 7th (British) and 5th (Australian) Divisions, by attacking the enemy’s strong point at the Crucifix.

The 2/7th Battalion West Yorks. was detailed for this operation, the 185th Trench Mortar Battery and one Section of the 212th Machine-Gun Company co-operating. Two Companies of the Battalion – B and C – attacked the Crucifix at Zero (3-40 a.m.) pus 26 minutes, but for a while no information of the situation of the attacking troops was obtainable. The 91st Brigade (7th Division) had reached the centre of the village, capturing a few Germans, but here very heavy machine-gun fire held up any further advance. About 6-30 a.m., however, an aeroplane report was received at 62nd Divisional Headquarters which stated that men of the 2/7th could be seen well dug in at the Crucifix. But from this period onwards, throughout the day, nothing could be ascertained, it being impossible to gain touch with the gallant West Yorkshiremen holding the post at the Crucifix. Possibly one of those isolated fights to a finish which were not uncommon in the War, but of which no authentic records are in existence, took place. For at 8 p.m. another aeroplane reported that the Germans once more held the Crucifix. At 10 o’clock that night patrols which attempted to reach the post were driven back, thus confirming the aeroplane report. Subsequently a few odd men returned through the lines of the 1st South Staffords (7th Division), having lost their way, but of the two officers and thirty-one other ranks who were known to be holding the Crucifix none returned nor was any further information gained concerning their fate. Five killed, thirty-one missing and thirty-two wounded were the casualties suffered by the 2/7th West Yorks. in this affair…


View Craven Herald Articles

View Craven Herald Articles

Craven Herald and Wensleydale Standard Logo

17 December 1915

INGLETON – Recruiting

There was quite a rush at the eleventh hour to enlist under Lord Derby’s scheme, and the following presented themselves for attestation at the recruiting centres:–Messrs. W. Harper, E. Hutchinson, M. Whittam, J. Townson, W. Wilkinson, J. Wilson, J. Wilson, jun., H.J. Birkett, J. Fletcher, N. Monks, M. Ramwell, R. Wilcock, W. Burrows, W. Robinson, A. Sherwin, F. Brooks, W. Bradley, B. Lister, W.A. Longton, R. Jackson, W. Jackson, A. Tyas, T. Hutchinson, R. Robinson, W. Riding, T. Thompson, J. Thompson, J. Hutchinson, R. Fisher, F. Lambert, Jas. Townson, W. Clarkson, N. Preston, J. Hodgkinson, C. Barker, J. Batty, R. Foster, W. Emmott, J. Saul, W. Noble, Rt. Robinson, R. Sears, J. Slawson, J. Newsholme, H. Tomlinson, J. Ellis, C. Robertshaw, R. Farnworth, E. Coates, and N. Downham. Of these a dozen were rejected. The above list does not pretend to be complete, and the recruiting secretary (Mr. G. Walling) would be glad if any others who attested would forward their names to him, particularly as the authorities at Skipton have asked him to send in a list of all who have attested under the group system.

30 June 1916

INGLETON – War Items

Amongst those at home for a few days, in some cases for their final leave from the various training centres, are Sergt. R.E. Walker, Pte. A. Sherwin, Pte. H. Boyd, Pte. C. Murphy, Pte. J. Frankland, Pte. F. Lambert and Pte. E. Robinson.

05 January 1917


After being four months in hospital, Corporal W. Preston, eldest son of Mr. John Preston, fruiter and fishmonger, is now home on 10 days’ leave. He was wounded in the face with shrapnel, a part of which has not been extracted. He was able to walk to a dressing station in the trenches, and was in the act of climbing over when a machine gun bullet passed through one leg and lodged in the knee of the other. He was between Sergeant J. Metcalfe and Pte. J.W. Robinson when they had the misfortune to be killed.

Other who have been home are: Sergeant W. Routledge (direct from the trenches), Corporal J.W. Routledge (his father), Corporal T. Heaps (Military Medallist) and Private Sherwin.

01 June 1917


Reports have filtered through that several Ingleton men are missing, and these have occasioned a good deal of anxiety in the village. Mrs. R. E. Walker, Three Horse Shoes Inn, whose husband is a sergeant in the West Riding Regiment, has wired to headquarters for information, and after considerable delay has received the following letter:– “I deeply regret that I can give you little information than that which I expect you have already received, viz., that your husband went into action with the Battalion on May 3rd and was afterwards missing. Several search parties have since been over the ground, but no sign of him has been seen. I can only hope that he is safe and a prisoner, and express with you my sincere sympathy in your anxiety. LIEUT. (ACTING ADJUTANT) W.F. LUCKMAN.”

A similar letter has been received by Mr. Joseph Sherwin, Upper Gate, Ingleton, in respect to his son, Private Alfred Sherwin, who went into action at the same time and place

15 June 1917


The following Ingleton men have been officially reported as ‘missing’:– Sergt. R. Walker, Sergt. H. I. Morris, Pte. Alf Sherwin, Pte. Colin Murphy, Pte. Ed. Robinson and Pte. John Bradford.

They were all in the attack launched against the enemy in the beginning of May, since which time no news has been gathered of their whereabouts. It is thought probable that they are prisoners in Germany, and it is sincerely hoped that nothing worse has befallen them.

22 February 1918


A memorial service for Ingleton men who have fallen in the war was held in St. Mary’s Church on Sunday evening. There was a large congregation, and the service was of an impressive character. The Union Jack was hoisted half-mast on the tower during the day. At the commencement of the service the organist, Mr. C. Bentham, played ‘O rest in the Lord’, and at the conclusion the Dead March in ‘Saul’, 'How bright these glorious spirits shine’, and other hymns appropriate to the occasion were sung, as was also the National Anthem. Standing on the Chancel steps, Bugler J. Robinson sounded the ‘Last Post’, and its solemn and eerie notes reverberated along the aisles.

Before commencing his address, the vicar, the Rev. D. T. Davies, read out the list of those who had fallen, as follows:–

Killed in action: Second-Lieutenant G. Kirk, Sergeant J. Metcalfe, Privates A. Noble, G. Scholey, C. Tomlinson, J. Smith, W. A. Hodgson, J. W. Wadeson, J. W. Robinson, J. Clapham, W. Smith, J. Schofield, J. Kettlewell, W. Marklew, E. Askew, P. Fletcher, G. Metcalfe, A. M. Booth, J. Woodhouse, W. Bolton, and J. [W.H.W.] Wilson.

Died in hospital: Privates W. H. Wignall and C. Newsholme.

Torpedoed: C. Grant.

Missing; Sergeant R. E. Walker, Privates A. Sherwin, W. Northey, E. Robinson, J. Saul, and W. [J.C.] Bradford.

The Vicar, speaking from the words, ‘Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends’, said that the occasion brought them face in face with a question that was momentous to everyone, and the list which he had just read made them pause and ask the question, “Is the cause for which we are fighting of such a nature that these sacrifices are necessary?” They must remind themselves of the causes which led to the war. Our honour was pledged to protect a small country from an oppressing wrong, and we were compelled to stand by them. They were standing to protect a weak country from a fearful wrong committed by one of the strongest nations in the world – from a military point of view the strongest – a nation that was steadily prospering year after year and which had been training its manhood to satisfy its mad ambition for power. It was becoming clear, especially during the last few weeks, that the dominant note running through their proposals had been their determination that might should conquer over right, and that they would rule as masters over the whole world. When they analysed the causes they saw that the principles of justice and righteousness were struggling against oppression and wrong-doing. They had seen an attempt to impose injustice on the whole world, to impose the doctrine that might is right and mercy unknown by the will of one man, and to sweep away religion, man’s guidance, in a moment.

29 March 1918

INGLETON – Presumed Killed

Mr. T. Robinson, Storrs Cottages, Ingleton, has heard from the War Office that his son, Private Ed. Robinson, who has been missing since May 3rd of last year, is now presumed to have been killed. He joined the Army in March, 1916. He was 20 years of age. – Other Ingletonians reported missing after the same battle are Sergeant R. E. Walker, landlord of the Three Horse Shoes Inn; Private Alfred Sherwin, Private William Northey, Private James Saul, and Private William Bradford.

19 July 1918

Another Ingleton Soldier’s Death Presumed

Mr. Joseph Sherwin, Backgate, Ingleton, has received official intimation from the War Office that his grandson, Private Alfred Sherwin, of the 6th Duke of Wellington’s, (who has been missing since May 3rd, 1917) is presumed dead, nothing having been heard of him since that date. Private Sherwin, who was 28 years of age, was a keen sportsman, and was both a playing member and also a committeeman of the Ingleton Football Club and also a member of the Sports Committee and was employed at the Ingleton Granite Works.

View West Yorkshire Pioneer Articles

View West Yorkshire Pioneer Articles

West Yorkshire Pioneer Logo

11 May 1917


WOUNDED AT THE FRONT – Pte. Tom Bonnick, only son of Mr. and Mrs. Walter Bonnick, has been wounded for the third time during the course of the war. The extent of the wound, which he received on
April 25th, is not yet known. Pte. A. Sherwin Backgate, Ingleton, who is in the West Yorkshires, is reported wounded in the thigh and is in hospital in France. Pte. W. Northy, of the Duke’s, only son of Mr. and Mr. Northy, Westhouse, is also reported by a pal to be wounded, but no official intimation has been received as yet. Mr. and Mrs. Rd. Metcalfe, Goat Gap, Ingleton, have just received word that their second son, Pte. Chas. Metcalfe, of the. West Ridings, has been wounded in action, and is in hospital at Boulogne.

01 June 1917


INGLETON MAN MISSING – For the past week or two rumours have been in circulation about several Ingletonians now serving their King and country in France. That there is a certain amount of truth in the rumours is proved by the following letter received by Mrs. R. Walker, of the Three Horse Shoes, Ingleton (whose husband, Sergt. Robert Walker, is out in France) in reply to a wire of enquiry about him:– “I regret I could not wire a reply to your telegram. It is not possible to telegraph from France with reference to casualties. I deeply regret that I can give you little further information than that which 1 expect you have already received, namely, that your husband went into action with the battalion on May 3rd and was afterwards missing. Several search parties have since been over the ground but no sign of him has been seen. I can only hope he is safe and a prisoner, and express my sincerest sympathy with you in your anxiety. Yours truly, W. F. Luckman, Lieut. Act. Adjt., Duke of Wellington’s Regiment. – A similar letter has been, received relating to Pte. Alf. Sherwin, of Back Street, Ingleton, who is in the same battalion: In this case the letter was sent by a friend, but the contents were of a similar nature. There are other Ingleton boys from whom no news has been received for some time, and the parents and friends are having an anxious time.

29 June 1917


WOUNDED THREE TIMES – Pte. Tom Bonnick, only son of Mr. and Mrs. Walter Bonnick, of Chapel-le-Dale, who has been wounded three times, has come home for a rest, after being in hospital in Newcastle (Gosforth), he having been wounded three times in a little over 12 months, but fortunately his wounds have not proved of a very serious nature. Lieut. P. Williams, son of Rev. and Mrs. J.N. Wynne Williams, vicar of Chapel-le-Dale, is in hospital in England, he having been wounded in the recent heavy fighting in France. Amongst the casualties reported in Wednesday’s list appears the names of Sergt. R. Walker, of the Three Horse Shoes Hotel, Pte. A. Sherwin, of Back Street, Ingleton, and Lance-Cpl. C. Murphy, formerly employed at the Ingleton Co-operative Stores, who are all three reported missing.

22 February 1918


MEMORIAL SERVICE – On Sunday last a memorial service for the Ingleton soldiers who have fallen during the war was held in St. Mary’s Church. The flag on the tower was hoisted at half-mast. There was a very large congregation, and prior to the commencement of the service the organist (Mr. C. Bentham) played a solemn voluntary. The vicar (Rev. T. D. Davies) conducted the service, special prayers, psalms, and hymns being read and sung. The Vicar delivered a powerful sermon, taking as his text St. John, ch. 13 v., 13, “Greater love hath no man,” and prior to this read the following name of the Ingleton men killed and missing , some of whom have been presumed dead. The ‘Dead March’ was played at the close of the service, and the sounding of the ‘Last Post’ by Bugler J. Robinson concluded a solemn and impressive service. The following were the names read out by the vicar:–

Men killed: 2nd-Lieut. Gerald Kirk, Pte. A. Noble, Pte. G. Scholey, Sergt. Jas. Metcalfe, Pte. Cyril Tomlinson, Pte. James [Jabez] Smith, Pte. Wm. A. Hodgson, Pte. John W. Wadeson, Pte. John W. Robinson, Pte. Joe Clapham, Pte. Wm. Smith, Pte. Jas. Schofield, Pte. Jas. Kettlewell, Pte. W. Marklew, Pte. E Askew, Pte. Percy Fletcher, Pte. Geo. Metcalfe, Pte. A. M. Booth, Pte. J. Woodhouse, Pte. W. Bolton, Pte. J. [W.H.W.] Wilson; died in hospital: Pte. Chris. Newsholme, Pte. Henry Wignall; missing: Sergt Robert E. Walker, Pte. Alfred Sherwin. Pte. Wm. Northy, Pte. Jas. Saul, Pte. Ed. Robinson. Pte. W. [J.C.] Bradford; torpedoed: Charles Grant.

Submit a Correction

    Name (required)

    Email Address (required)

    Telephone (required)

    Soldier Reference - Name:

    Soldier Reference - URL:

    Details of the correction to be made (required)

    Comment on this Soldier Record

    You can leave comments on this soldier record. Please note all comments will be manually approved before they appear on the website.

    No comments yet.

    Leave a Reply

    Pin It on Pinterest

    Share This